What can I start today that will benefit me for a lifetime? by Santhosh Komaraju
Answer by Santhosh Komaraju:
Every week day the time allocation goes something like this:
- 8 hrs (at work / at school /at business)
- 8 hrs (sleep)
- 1 – 2 hrs (commute to work)
- 1 hr (Dinner, Breakfast, lunch)
- 1 hr Rest room activities all day long
- 2 hrs (Miscellaneous activities / Family time )
As you see whatever life style you are leading, 22 hours are now gone. From remaining 2 hours, if you take 50% out, which is 1 hour. Dedicate just this 1 hour completely for yourself. And when I say for yourself, for your inner self. No social websites, No internet, No cell phone use, No Television… unless you are using any of these solely for this purpose, cut out all these and just dedicate this 1 hour completely for your inner self. Lock yourself up if needed, so that no one can disturb you. Here is what you can do:
- Read a book / article.
- Write your thoughts or blog about anything you are interested in. I strongly suggest to share your posts regularly with like-minded people or communities as you write new ones to get healthy feedback and at the same time receive new information. This further could give you a boost towards healthy writing.
- If you have any hobby, start working on personal home projects.
- Write personal journal – just something which indicates your daily experiences, dreams , life goals, ideas, thoughts, your negative/positive feelings …no matter how small they are write it down. Try to revisit them often to analyse your thought process.
- Get involved in some charitable work. Do this without any self intentions. If you ever think that you are the giver and the other person is the taker, you are showing the signs of selfishness. Just believe that you had given an opportunity to share what you have with your fellow beings.
- Volunteer on any kind of activity online or offsite which might help anyone. Again do this without any expectations. When you are helping anyone, you are actually helping yourself.
- Watch any documentary which is educational in nature.
- Do any kind of spiritual activity – Meditation, Yoga Asanas (as in Rajas Yoga) , Pranayama, Prayer, listening to spiritual commentaries from scholars, Reading books related to spirituality subjects..so on..
- Just sit & Relax and introspect about your life.
- Do any physical activity – Exercise, Cardio, Swimming, Play indoor/outdoor sport (not video games).
- Go into the nature and spend time in it. Hiking, Canoeing, Kayaking, Cabin stays, etc anything that is of your interest. Even I say, gardening in your backyard comes into this category. This is the most effective way to fuel yourself with positive energy. It is way abundantly available in nature.
Most important thing is that you do this just for yourself without any expectations or goals. Things can come out with just this 1 hour of total conscious efforts which you never thought they were in you. Hidden attributes can come out, Never seen talents can come out. All because of spending just 1 hour of your day's time. What you are doing here is going deep inside yourself to see what's inside. And once you find it, you bring it out and spend 1 hr of conscious efforts on it without any expectations. Leave it to the destiny on what it might become in future.
Note: If 1 hr is not available at this time, start with 15 min periods and go from there adding 5 or 10 min based on availability. Doing something minor is way better than waiting long time aiming for high. The most important thing is to make it a habit.